Saturday, August 20, 2011

Henna for your locs?

As most of you know, my hair is loc'd. The longest ones are about 3 feet long. The shortest are about 23".  I am often asked if they are heavy. Ehhhh, sometimes they are. I wear them up mostly, since they do get in the way when sewing or painting or dying things and if I have them up and off center, my neck will let me know. I decided a while back that I wanted to henna my hair.

Naturally, my hair is a medium to dark brown and I thought having a bit of red would spice them up a bit. I like the idea of having Firey locs.

Henna is a plant, found in Pakistan, India and Yemen and probably some other places too. It is ground down to a powder and then mixed with an acid, such as lemon juice and then put on the hair. The process is thousands of years old and henna makes your hair shiny and healthy.

Several months ago, I ordered inexpensive samples of henna from Hennahut.com and Hennaforhair.com. I tested the ends of 2 locs. I liked the color from the Henna Hut sample quite a bit, but decided to purchase from Henna for Hair. My reason for this is I wanted to support the incredible amount of research and free ebooks and information that is provided on Henna for Hair. Plus I think Henna Hut does have some additives in the henna, while Henna for Hair is pure henna.

Henna has to oxidize for a few days after it is applied and rinsed out, so below are pictures of how it looks right now, just 6 hours after washing, I expect the color to deepen some in the next 2-4 days. I will post an update and let you know if I have the Firey locs I was hoping for.



No comments:

Post a Comment